If you have baby-fine straight hair like me, you know the importance of styling product. I “needed” it to make my hair look nice, and I used a lot of it. Unfortunately, I also “needed” to take the full 3 ounces of styling gel on my travels, which filled up my 3-1-1 bag. I searched for a non-liquid alternative, but could never find one. I resigned myself to maxing out my 3-1-1 bag on longer trips.
Well, things have recently changed. I visited my hairdresser and noticed several styling powder products on the shelves. My stylist was happy to discuss them with me and showed me how to use them. I tried the Evo Haze Styling powder. After several weeks of using the product on a daily basis I am totally sold. This stuff works! In fact, it works better than my old gel. Yes, I am abandoning my gel product in favor of the travel-friendly powder.
The principle is simple: Sprinkle some powder on your hands, rub your hands together, and run the product through your hair just like gel. My stylist showed me a different technique: lightly tapping the powder on to the roots of the hair and then fluffing the hair up. It doesn’t take much powder to get lift. Less is more in this case.
Things I like:
- It absolutely works. I would say that it works better than my styling gel.
- A little goes a very, very, very long ways.
- It lasts all day.
- It is water resistant.
- It decants into a small shaker bottle and takes much less room and weight than any gel.
Of course there are things about the product that I don’t like. You’ll have to decide if these are a deal breaker for you.
Things I don’t like:
- It is white. Rub it in or people will notice.
- It is sticky and feels tacky in my hair.
- My hair feels matted when I brush through it.
- I have to wash my hair aggressively to get the product out (this is a side effect of being water resistant, I suppose).
In all, I am thrilled that there is a non-liquid alternative to my hair gel. Evo Haze styling powder is available from many stylists and is also available on-line.